Wednesday 16 December 2015

Merry and Bright Season Greetings

Hello!

I'm here to share an other holiday card. I used a few Stacey Yacula's cute images that you can find at Purple Onion Designs.


I had a bit of trouble while making this card. Firstly I stamped the images with black die ink. Then I cut a mask for the birds and the top of the trees. I didn't bother to cut a mask for the trunk of the trees, since I was going to colour them quite dark so I can hide the ink with my colouring. While I was inking the background I noticed that the black ink started to bleed, you can see it on the bigger bird on the bells. I don't know why, maybe I should have waited longer before I started to ink up background but then I figured that I should have done this in different order. I think the smarter thing to do this, would have been first stamp the trees and cover them with the masks, then just put the masks for the birds, ink the background, let it dry and then stamp the birds and colour them. Have you had this kind of trouble and how have you solved it? Please, feel free to share. 

The birds are coloured with copic markers and I added a little bit yellow copic marker to the trees and added white jelly roll pen and wink of stella on top. 

Supplies:
Stamps: Maple, Juniper and Seasons Greetings by Purple Onion Designs.   
Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black (sentiment), Memento Lulu Lavender, Cantaloupe and Tumbled Glass Distress Ink (I think or Peacock Feathers).
Wink of Stella
White Jelly Roll Pen

Copic Markers: Birds: E40 - E42 - E43 - E44, E04 - R56 - R59, Trees: YG03 - YG67, E47.

Thank you for stopping by today. See you real soon!

Hugs,
Marika

16 comments:

  1. I see no errors... only a beautiful and amazing cute design!
    Love this... as always!
    Hugs
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really pretty Marika and the colours are lovely and I think you did exactly the right thing as if you were to mask to leave white where the image has to go it would be quite difficult to stamp the image exactly over the top and then you would have to fill in with bits of colour round the image and you wouldn't get that seamless finish to the background I feel. The bleeding is so minimal that you can barely see it. You are such a perfectionist which is why your work is so fantastic. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marika, this is beautiful. Any "mistakes" are practically invisible and this looks like a frame-worthy card to me. Adore your coloring skills! And your subject matter for those skills. Makes me smile every time. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely card! I wouldn't have known you had any "trouble" with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING as always!
    You are a true artist Marika!!
    Greetings from Chicago~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always make such beautiful cards. I think masking fluid would have made it easier. stamp, mask then paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These images are so sweet, and your scene is just so precious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marika, I don't see any ink bleeding anywhere, all I see is a gorgeous and adorable Winter scene, perfectly colored in every single detail.
    Stacy Yacula's little critters and all the other beautiful images are just perfect for creating lovely scenes like this one.
    I agree with Ellen Bornstein's comment, masking fluid would be an easier solution, also you might want to help your black ink to dry with the heat gun, I sometimes have accidentally smeared Memento Ink on my Ninah card stock because I think it takes a bit longer to dry than Stazon ink.
    In any case Marika, your card is beautiful, thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful. I don't see any mistakes, but it may have bled because of the type of ink you used for blending the background. Like, I think Memento dye inks don't play well with water colors (The Distress inks, in particular). Maybe someone with more experience will be able to help you with it. I just recall reading, or hearing, that somewhere. Either way, if you have mistakes you covered them beautifully, and I still hope to be as good as you one day. ^_^ I'm still practicing. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not ONE thing remotely wrong with this card, Miss Fussy Bottom! All I see is LOve!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. The painting is so gorgeous no one should notice any bleeding,, Marika, but I do think you need to let the ink dry a while before coloring. It's frustrating I know because it's happened to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful, Marika! Here's what I do: I leave the background white and boring! But I am hoping to do things like this for my cards next year to give them more interest and you, my talented friend, will be at the top of the list of artists who inspire me!! Happy Holiday Hugs! Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your lovely card! You have such amazing talent. I enjoy your work so much. you asked if we knew of anything you could do to avoid this problem. I use black memento ink whenever I use copic markers. this is what I have found: if it is humid in my room it takes longer to dry, if I have recently reinked my stamp pad it takes longer to dry. sometimes, if I press too hard when I am stamping it kind of squishes the stamped image in parts so it looked like it bled. I really only use memento black ink for outlines when I use copics to color the image. I love to use versafine black for all of the rest of my outlines (unless I want a colored outline) I let it dry or I use clear fine embossing powder over it and heat set it. I really love the slightly raised outline on some of my cards, but even without the embossing powder, if I wait long enough it has never bled. I don't waste time. I usually stamp out a number of images on different cards while I wait for the ink to dry. you can also heat set it to speed up the process. I hope this helps. im looking back and its a lot of info. I hope some of this helps. I cant wait to see your next card. this one has such a lovely quality to it. hugs, treen

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make Purple Onion stamps shine, Marika! They are gorgeous anyway, but you bring them to life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet little winter scene and honestly, I can't even tell the "smearing" on the larger bird! Even if you could, I think it's perfectly fine to have some imperfections on your card. That's the true beauty of a hand stamped card, no? :)

    ReplyDelete